Government Denies $812M Cocaine Allegations, Says Vessel Departed Port Clean

  • By Owl
  • 20 May 2026
  • 0
  • 76 Views

Sierra Leone’s Transnational Organised Crime Unit (TOCU) has clarified that while the cargo vessel intercepted by Spanish authorities last month did indeed sail from Freetown, there is no evidence that narcotics were loaded or exported from the country.

Speaking at the weekly press briefing of the Sierra Leone Police, head of TOCU, Transnational Organised Crime Unit Director CSP Michael J.K. Laggah said ongoing investigations indicate that the alleged cocaine consignment did not originate within Sierra Leone’s borders, despite the vessel’s documented departure from the capital.

The case centres on the vessel MV Arconian, which Spanish authorities reported intercepting on May 1 some 430 nautical miles south of the Canary Islands. According to Spanish officials, the ship was found carrying approximately 30,215 kilograms of cocaine concealed in 1,279 bales, with an estimated street value of €812.2 million.

Spanish law enforcement further stated that the vessel, which sailed under the Comoros flag, departed Freetown on April 22 after arriving in the port on April 17.

However, TOCU’s preliminary findings suggest that the ship underwent routine port inspections while in Sierra Leone, with no indication of illegal cargo being loaded during its stay. Officials cited verified cargo manifests showing that the vessel was cleared with legitimate consignments, including large quantities of palm kernel oil, marine diesel, and fresh water.

CSP Laggah explained that port security records, CCTV footage, and terminal operator reports collectively show no evidence of narcotics being concealed at the time of departure. He added that investigators believe transnational criminal networks may have taken advantage of gaps in maritime surveillance once the vessel left Sierra Leone’s territorial waters.

Authorities also pointed to discrepancies in crew numbers, noting that the ship departed Freetown with 17 crew members but Spanish authorities later reported detaining 23 individuals on board. The unexplained difference has raised suspicions that additional personnel may have boarded the vessel during its voyage.

Investigators further observed that the vessel’s nine-day journey to its interception point exceeded the standard sailing duration of about six days, suggesting possible irregular routing or at-sea activity outside Sierra Leone’s jurisdiction.

TOCU officials emphasized that the alleged owning company, Serenity Shipping Company, is not registered in Sierra Leone, further distancing local maritime operators from the case.

While Sierra Leone has not yet received formal communication from Spanish authorities, officials confirmed that diplomatic engagement has begun through international cooperation channels to ensure a coordinated investigation.

The government, through security agencies and the Office of National Security, has urged members of the public to share any relevant information that could assist ongoing inquiries as authorities continue to track the broader trafficking network believed to be involved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *